Passports for Minors Under 16 (minors under 16 can NOT use the renewal form)


Quick Facts

Who Needs One:

Every minor regardless of age traveling overseas must have a valid passport


Valid For:


5 years

Submission Method:


Passport applications for minors under age 16 must be submitted in person at a passport agency or authorized passport application acceptance facility. The minor must be present. Both parents or guardians should appear with the minor. If both parents/guardians cannot be present, see parental consent for additional document requirements.


What you need to apply for a minor's passport

  1. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

  2. Photo Identification

  3. Parental Consent

  4. Passport Photo

  5. Application Forms

  6. Passport Fees


1. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

You must submit one of the following original certified documents as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for your child (photocopies are not acceptable):

  • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (must meet all of the following requirements):

    • Issued by City, County, or State of birth

    • Lists bearer's full name, date of birth, and place of birth

    • Lists parent(s) full names

    • Has date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)

    • Has registrar's signature

    • Has embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal of registrar

  • Previous U.S. Passport (may be expired, must be undamaged)

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad

  • Certificate of Naturalization

  • Certificate of Citizenship


If your child was born in the United States and cannot obtain a certified birth certificate that meets all the requirements listed above, you will need to submit a combination of documents as secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship, such as:

  • Delayed birth certificate (filed after one year of birth)

  • Hospital records

  • Religious records (certificate of baptism, communion, blessing, family bible, etc.)

  • Early school records


If your child has never had a birth certificate filed, see required documents.


If your child has previously been issued a passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and it is not available to submit with your application, you may request a file search.


If your child was born outside the United States and has U.S. citizenship by birth to one or more U.S. citizen parents, or derived U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of parents, and does not have a Certificate of Citizenship, see required documents.